To Help celebrate Smokey Bear’s 75th birthday this post highlights a new donation for two posters featuring everyone’s favorite Forest Fire preventing bear. These two posters, donated by the Brownawell Family, are 84 inches tall, making them by far the largest in our collection. These posters are so large they come in two pieces, known as 2-sheet posters.
The newest chainsaw to the Lumber Museum’s collection is this Mall Model 1 MG Chainsaw. The Model 1MG was produced by the Mall Tool Company of Chicago from 1953 to 1957. The one cylinder engine produced 5 brake horse power and the saw weighs in at 33 pounds.
This saw was purchased new by John Gerhart sometime in the 1950s. The saw then passed to a son-in-law, Donald Barth. Both of these men used the saw for personal use around their properties. The saw was then given to Donald’s son, David. David used this saw in the late 1970s to start his business, “Dave Barth Tree Service” located in Reading, PA. Dave used the saw for only the first year or so until he was able to replace it with a lighter, more modern saw. At the time of the donation, his tree service was still in operation.
Dave Barth Tree Service and this chainsaw are examples of how Pennsylvania’s lumber industry takes many forms and operates not only in the forests but all over the state.
Before electric power tools there were human powered tools. This late 19th century wood working tool uses foot operated using pedals. They would have been an improvement over hand tools and used by carpenters working in and around Pennsylvania’s Lumber towns.
This bicycle like Wood Former/ Shaper was made by the W.F. & John Barnes Company and was used for molding edges and scroll work. This particular machine was given to William Chastain while he was a carpenter’s apprentice to his Uncle, Theodore Grabe, in Coudersport in the 1890’s. Mr. Chastain was born in Roulette, PA in 1875. In addition to working as a carpenter’s apprentice, he worked in local logging camps, often as a teamster, using his father’s horses. He moved with his family to Rochester, NY in 1909, where he spent the next 50 years working as a carpenter.
Masten is one of Pennsylvania’s lumber ghost towns. The town was founded in 1906 by the lumberman, Charles Sones. Sones build his first mill in Masten in 1906. In 1917 Sones sold the mills to the Central Pennsylvania Lumber Company (CPL) who operated them until 1930. After CPL shutdown the mills, the town of Masten lost it’s population, the last family reportedly moving away in 1941.
The edger saw in the museum’s sawmill is from one of the Masten mills.
These photos and photo postcards were donated by Ann Haus Krout, whose Grandfather, William, lived in Masten and worked in the mills.